After one has tried to reduce or gain weight, the body tends to undergo some changes. This is generally attributed to the rate of blood flow within the body. But to say that would be too simple to put it. Recently, a study was conducted specifically for this purpose, to observe how gaining weight in substantial proportions would affect the functions that govern the rate of flow of blood in a human body.

From the globally renowned and admired Mayo Clinic located in the USA, a research report was provided in which the researchers are believed to have discovered that putting on weight in significant magnitude might cause some sort of impairment on the endothelial functions inside the body. The basic aim behind this study was to discover the effects that weight gain have on the body and also, the effects that weight loss may have on the endothelial function of the body. Inside the human body, these endothelial cells are present lining up against the blood vessels. These cells tend to provide hindrance in the blood flow, when they do not function properly. The eventual outcome of this obstruction thus caused, makes a person susceptible to a possible stroke or even a heart attack.

As per the study, a weight gain of around 9-10 pounds in the otherwise lean and young adult is enough to cause the impairment to the endothelial function. This finding is believed to be an important breakthrough, as the dysfunction of endothelial cells is popular as a harbinger to heart attacks. Its involvement with weight gain was not a known fact until now.

This study performed at the Mayo clinic was the first of its kind as it was a controlled one and was a blinded trial. This randomized study was embarked upon in order to assess the effects that weight gain/loss might have on the function of endothelial cells in the body. This study consisted of 43 subjects, who were either lean or healthy. These volunteers had the average of 18.5 to 24.9 of body mass index. This body mass index is a yardstick for measuring the weight of an individual when related to his height. 42% of the volunteers were females whereas the remaining 58% were males. These volunteers had the mean age of 29. Almost every volunteer were not undergoing any medication routine during this period of study and were also not under smoking habits.

The volunteer group underwent a weight maintenance period administered by veteran dietician. During this phase, the volunteers were arbitrarily chosen for gaining or maintaining weight. 35 of the volunteers went into the weight gaining cluster while the others formed the group focusing on gaining weight.

During the whole study program, 35 of these volunteers had gained weight of about 9 pounds. Their endothelial functions were then calculated by way of ultrasound on the vessels present in the upper arm. This particular body part is named as brachial artery.

During the whole study program, the weight gainers had gained four kilos of weight on an average. This, in turn, enlarged their visceral and subcutaneous fat proportions.

But when the volunteers went through the phase of weight loss which they had put on throughout the study, the flow levels enhanced and came back to the levels initially measured before the study commenced. This proves that the endothelial function in the can be affected due to weight gain either before it or afterwards.

Related posts:

  1. Menopausal Weight Gain
  2. Thyroid Weight Gain
  3. Unexplained Weight Gain
  4. Menopause And Weight Gain
  5. Weight Gain During Preganancy